First, you’ll need to speak with your dentist about your symptoms so that they can determine the best course of action for you.For the most part, if you snore, it is very likely that you also suffer from sleep apnea, but there are other possible issues that can occur:
• Choking or gasping for air in your sleep
• Feeling tired all day long or having the feeling of not getting enough sleep
• Headaches in the morning
• Horrible mood swings
• Having trouble paying attention
• Decreased libido and sex drive
Your dentist will look at all of your symptoms and they will develop a plan to help you get back on track to a healthy night’s rest.
Your dentist has several techniques and devices that can help to treat your snoring or sleep apnea. Here are a few options that they can make available to you to bring you some relief:
• Mandibular Advancement Device: This looks like a mouth guard and helps to move your lower jaw further down and forward. This helps to keep the airways open which helps to prevent snoring.
• Tongue Retaining Device: This looks like a splint and is used to help keep your tongue in the right spot so your airways can remain open. Once it is installed, it does have to be adjusted to make sure that it is helping your sleeping problem.
Getting a good night’s sleep is essential to your everyday life. Uninterrupted rest is necessary to function properly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you are having sleeping issues, it is important to seek help. Your Bay Shore, NY general dentist may be able to give you the right advice to help. They have plenty of ways that they can help and soon you will be sleeping better in no time at all! If you would like to request more information, or if you would like to speak to someone about your options, give us a call at (631) 665-8484.