For the many people who suffer from anxiety of dental treatment, oral sedation dentistry has offered comfort. You too can overcome the fears that stop you from visiting the dentist and learn to cope with these feelings. Start by finding a dentist that understands and then discuss the benefits of oral sedation dentistry with them.
Talking to Your BayShore NY Dentist
Having an understanding dentist is the most important part of overcoming your fears and worries. If you don’t feel that you can adequately talk to your dentist, you need to find one that you can.
By developing a good relationship, you’ll be able to:
• Openly discuss your experiences and fears in a safe environment.
• Move forward with procedures at a pace that allows you to feel safe and comfortable.
• Have a sense of control over your own care which will further reduce anxiety.
Oral Sedation Can Help
Once you’ve been able to talk to your dentist, you might find that oral sedation also helps relieve leftover anxiety issues.
Some of the benefits to oral sedation include:
• Anxiety melting away
• Less pain
• Proper treatments can be accomplished easily without tension
Safety of Oral Sedation
There is often a concern over the safety of using oral sedation methods, but it isn’t something to fear. All oral sedation procedures have been thoroughly tested to ensure that the patient’s safety is of the utmost concern.
Not only will oral sedation offer a peaceful dental visit and allow your dentist to complete their work, it is highly unlikely that it will harm you.
There are certain times when oral sedation should not be used. You should always discuss this list with your dentist:
1. Medical conditions that you receive treatment for
2. All prescriptions you are currently taking
3. Over the counter medicines you take including vitamins
4. Herbal supplements you take.
5. Smoking or alcohol consumption
By allowing yourself the opportunity to use oral sedation dentistry, you are permitting your dentist the chance to complete the necessary work in your mouth. This will further create a healthy mouth for you and lower your chances of painful, costly procedures later down the road.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call 631-665-8484.